Electrical units on firewall in 1987 Porsche 911 Turbo/930 install

Mike D fitted our A/C kit to his 1987 Porsche 930. Interestingly, he mounted the condenser in the rear of the car in front of the rear wheel. He found a couple of control boxes on the firewall, which he worried might cause a problem. The question was answered by another user.

Jonny, I tested fitted a blower on my '87 930 after removing the old blower and ducts but before adding new T pieces and ducts. Unfortunately the new blower won't fit!! It seems the older 911's has fewer wiring and electrical components on the cabin wall. Here's a photo of the trunk of my car showing the problem area. Am I required to relocate the electrical components further out of the way? I'm not sure how far they can be moved. Do you know anyone who installed the blower on a later model air cooled 911 or 930? If yes then how was the blower installed?

930 ac install components.jpg

Answered by dyerkes:

Hi MikeD,

I have a 1987 911 with the same wiring as you have in your turbo, and I had no issue fitting the blower related to the wires you encircled. It is a tight fit, and the big wiring loom that comes out of the firewall does butt up against the blower casing, it isn’t putting any stress on the wires.

Also, before attempting to fit the blower unit you need to bend the bracket/tab upwards that formerly had been used to secure the fiberboard blower cover (which will no longer fit). Jonny suggested mounting a rubber bushing on that tab to act as an additional stabilizer to the blower (doesn’t really need it once it has been screwed on, but it could make it look as though it was there by design). While you could squeeze the blower unit in without bending it, it provides a little more wiggle room and prevents the blower casing from getting scratched.

The large wiring loom that protrudes out of the firewall should end up just on the left hand side (as you are looking at from the front of your frunk) of the blower box. The black box midway up the firewall may collide with the box when you are sliding the unit in, but once you rotate the unit to connect to the cowling it should no longer interfere.

1987 911 targa install 1.jpg

1987 911 targa install 2.jpg

Mike D's installation continued!

Thanks for the explanation! I unbolted the electrical connector boxes from the cabin wall and moved the boxes up further away from the blower. I also bent the tabs as suggested. Voila: I was able to test fit the blower and also tested the blower fan which checked good.

Porsche 911 930 blower fan & housing.JPG

• classicretrofit changed the title to Electrical units on firewall in 1987 Porsche 911 Turbo/930 install

On my '87 930 I finally completed the a/c install, pulled vacuum and charged w/R134a today. I do not have a temp meter so I have no idea of the outlet vent temp. I will report its vent temp once I get a temp meter. It does feel cool/cold so I felt confident to go for a test drive immediately with my wife while outside temps were in the 90's. We were comfortable during 45 min drive beginning around 4pm central time. The only issue I have is there's low air flow output from the central and passenger side vents. I think this is due to two reasons. 1) One outlet blower port feeds into both central and pass side vents which is a stock setup. 2) The flex hose from the blower to Y-connector which feeds the central and pass side vents is long and convoluted to go around other flex hose. Perhaps these two are the reasons for reduced air flow at the vents. Neither 40mm ports at the blower are used and are capped off.

930 AC install 1.JPG

930 AC install 2.JPG

930 AC install 3.JPG

930 AC install 4.JPG