Upgraded Alternator for Porsche 912-Karmann Ghia-early VW

I own a 911 that has your system and I love it. However I also own several VW Karmann Ghias in which I intend to install A/C.

I would like to use the Classic Retrofit A/C system in my VWs but the amperage on the most powerful alternator is 95 and I heard they aren't very good.

Having seen the Irish Green Porsche 912 installation, I wonder if you are using the 95 amp alternator or if you have upgraded it beyond that? You say in the description that you did upgrade it but I don't see that alternator as one of your options. Please help & thanks!

• classicretrofit changed the title to Upgraded Alternator for Porsche 912/Karmann Ghia/early VW

This was a headscratcher as the owner did not want to touch the engine, so we custom engineered this setup using a WOSP alternator. It's not super aesthetic and took quite a bit of working out at additional cost but it did the trick.

It involves a coupler from a VW T5 with some machining. We are working on a possible kit for this - on the list of things to do.

• classicretrofit changed the title to Upgraded Alternator for Porsche 912-Karmann Ghia-early VW
  • 9 months later...

We hear you. Alternators are developed in partnership with a UK manufacturer and R&D time is hard to find at the minute. We've recently added a new team member on the R&D side, so fingers crossed we can loop back around on this in early 2023. Unlikely we will get into it through the rest of this year.

• 5 months later...

New guy here and sadly I don’t have a Porsche! But I do have a Karman Ghia that I’m building over the next year or two! I am interested in a high amp alternator as I’m interested in running a Classic Retrofit electric ac including the blower unit. I’m going to use an electric heater as well. I’m building a 2.7 L Type 4 engine based on the LN Engineering kit with a Jake Rabey DTM cooling shroud. Yeah I know it’s not a Porsche but I am going to build it. I saw an ac compressor bolted to the same type of engine and shroud. Can an alternator be mounted with a bracket next to the standard alternator using a serpentine belt or even a standard v-belt rather than hooked onto the alternator as is done with the Irish Green Porsche? Thanks for any input here!

• Like 1

Hi there and thanks for the question. The answer is anything is possible depending on the quality of the engineering. Given the car you are already building, we presume you will work it out properly! WOSP alternators may be a useful source of information in terms of applications. Good luck with your project and thanks for including our products.