New CDI+ fitted: engine not running

Just ordered a CDI+ unit, but the car is not running.  I suspect (hope) that my original Bosch CDI has failed, was running well recently. 

The instructions say check timing first, but obviously I can't without the engine running.  Any special instruction for this situation?   I'm assuming that the Classic Retrofit CDI product is actually 'plug and play' as advertised, and if the problem is indeed a bad Bosch CDI, I should be able to just mount it and plug in the 6 pin plug, without having to connect to a laptop... correct?  Any other advice? 

I'm a DIY guy, but new to these CDI systems.  Thanks in advance.

mitch

• 5 months later...

I have the same issue. The first 3 CDI's worked fine on the cars, Plug and play. This last 1 was ordered as a combo with the fuse box upgrade failed to start the engine. Fitting back the old one starts the engine with no problem. What is the warranty process for this?

20220401_120031.jpg

20220401_120249.jpg

20220401_120258.jpg

Sorry to hear this - we bench test every single box before shipping so it should be fully operational.

Warranty would be a full refund on receipt of the unit: we will refund your shipping if the unit is faulty. You can organise a return via an email to Jonny at info@classicretrofit.com.

So the first thing to check in this installation would be the distributor signal. Check the light on the front of the unit is flashing when you crank the engine.

• classicretrofit changed the title to New CDI+ fitted: engine not running
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2022 at 6:08 AM, edmorales said:

I have the same issue. The first 3 CDI's worked fine on the cars, Plug and play. This last 1 was ordered as a combo with the fuse box upgrade failed to start the engine. Fitting back the old one starts the engine with no problem. What is the warranty process for this?

20220401_120031.jpg

20220401_120249.jpg

20220401_120258.jpg

Ed, we received the unit back but cannot find a fault with it.   It tests fine on our test bench.

Also, note the OP is saying that his Bosch CDI might be faulty, not ours!

On 4/25/2022 at 5:16 PM, Jonny Retrofit said:

Ed, we received the unit back but cannot find a fault with it.   It tests fine on our test bench.

Also, note the OP is saying that his Bosch CDI might be faulty, not ours!

Thank you for the input. We checked and the car is fitted with MSD Coil

Regards

• 4 weeks later...