CDI+ with megasquirt

I'm planning a megasquirt install and ditching my CIS. Once the megasquirt is installed, I plan on using the distributor and vac advance with the CDI+ in default mode so I can tune the fuel system. Once it's tuned, I'll lock the dizzy and program the CDI+. Has anyone tried this before? Anything to be concerned about? Will the tach sweep from the CDI+ interfere with the megasquirt at ignition?

We have a few customers who run CDI+ from other ECUs.  

Essentially, leave the CDI+ with a flat curve as shipped.   IIRC the Megasquirt takes the CDI RPM output (TD tacho drive pin) as an input.   As you state, the tacho sweep on ignition can cause a false injection of fuel.  You can switch off the tacho sweep using our software.  Select the CDI+ menu, Adjust Config then untick 'Tacho sweep on Start'.

• 11 months later...
On 6/9/2021 at 6:07 AM, Jonny Retrofit said:

We have a few customers who run CDI+ from other ECUs.  

Essentially, leave the CDI+ with a flat curve as shipped.   IIRC the Megasquirt takes the CDI RPM output (TD tacho drive pin) as an input.   As you state, the tacho sweep on ignition can cause a false injection of fuel.  You can switch off the tacho sweep using our software.  Select the CDI+ menu, Adjust Config then untick 'Tacho sweep on Start'.

Hi Jonny, I just sent you a PM on Pelican, thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jonny,

I've set the CDI+ to full control, and programmed a curve to max out at 28 deg at 5k. On this curve that point is 23 degrees to compensate for the baseline of 5 degrees. I had to rotate the dizzy to 15 deg to get the needed headroom, but now shouldn't I readjust the curve so that the max point on the curve is 15 degrees?

Steve

Hi Jonny. I think I have this worked out. Can you please verify? (It's just not 100% clear to me what you're doing in the video the second time you get out the timing light).

Set the curve with timing set at 5 degrees.

Adjust the tigger point to allow for more working room. 

Send the file to the unit.

Adjust the dizzy with timing light to match what's on the software curve. 

Thanks! Steve